Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Silver Lining

I've been dabbling with Unity3D for about 2 years now.  I love working with Unity, and after several attempts to create and publish my own game, I've decided that my skills may be better suited for helping others accomplish this.

As the father of a daughter who is about to turn 1, and the sole administrator of a popular social networking site, I don't get a whole lot of time to work on my own projects.  The little time I do have is usually spent playing around in Unity3D, Blender3D and PaintShop (yes, I use PaintShop Pro, not Photoshop... oh, the horror).

I knew building games was a time consuming process... I did not realize how much time would start to fly-by after becoming a father.  Months go by like weeks, and my math-obsessed mind is still reeling 11 months later from a complete inability to make sense of the shorter days.  Regardless, fumbling around in Unity3D (due to my lack of knowledge) was a whole lot of fun, but I hadn't finished a single project yet.  It's definitely time to change gears.

So, my plan is to take my 20 years of website programming experience and create a website that I see a HUGE market for:  a website that merges social networking, indie game development, and Unity3D's awesome Web Player.  The goal is to create a friendly, informative website for any Unity3D developer, whether they have years of experience or are just starting out.  I want it to be as simple as possible: if I've never even downloaded Unity before, but want to get started, click this link and the site will walk you through it.  Having a rough day and need some help, quickly search Unity Answers, Unity Forums, and the Script Reference, all with one click.  I'm not sure I can pull all of that off yet, but I like to aim crazy-high.

Right now I have nothing done except a vision.  No concept work, no code, nothing.  Just Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 (my preferred HTML coding software), Paint Shop Pro open on separate screens and more ambition than I know what to do with.

More posts will follow in the upcoming hours, but for now, it's time to get started...

No comments:

Post a Comment